Friday, January 23, 2009

Everyone's an Artist

Hi!
As I mentioned in my first post, I'm going to say a little bit about the different roles I see my self as having. I would love to hear any comments you have that relate to this idea of "wearing different hats". I also want to make a disclosure that "writer" was never one of the hats I've worn. Good writing is a mystery to me, and I hope that I can manage well enough that people won't just go running!

There was a time way back when, when I didn't know the concept of "wearing different hats"--I just was an "artist".  First of all, I just want to say that I hate how people who don't think of themselves as creative seem to put "artist" types up there on that pedestal. I firmly believe everyone is creative and has the potential to be "an artist". It just takes practice and dedication and desire. Anyhow, that time seems long ago now. My life is much fuller and the "artist" in me has had to make room for many other things that are important. But through having kids and continuing my work as an early childhood educator, I have continued to find pleasure and satisfaction in the creative work I do. Mostly this is painting, but I also love collage, photography, using rubber stamps for card making, beading and trying new things.

The time that I have carved out for my painting is precisely Thursdays and Fridays during school hours, baring doctor's appointments and a million other things that can easily chew away at this time....

Do you have a set-aside time to do something for yourself whether it be exercising, something creative, reading etc?  If you don't and would like to than just start small...maybe it is one night a week that you leave the house and go to a movie or the library.  Part of finding satisfaction in anything we do is doing it on a regular basis.  If you make it part of your routine it will be something you can look forward to and something you think of as part of yourself.  

It took me a while after having kids to put myself first for those 2 days a week.  It required time, money and feeling I deserved it!  And to get to that place, I had to say "no" to other things--like renovating the kitchen--and yes to other things--like raising my rates and cutting back on the days I offered at my home-preschool, The Creative Play House (sorry families!)
If you need encouragement getting to the point where you have time to yourself, please feel free to email me or leave comments.
All for now, Willa

1 comment:

  1. Hi Willa,
    It's your long, lost co-teacher...Jen!! I have to say, your blog is just wonderful! I enjoyed all of the pictures of you and your family, the kids, and of course, The Creative Playhouse. Victoria loved seeing the picture of Casey! I think of you often, and what a blessing it was to have that job and to be with my daughter at the same time!
    This particular subject, "wearing different hats" hit home with me. As you know, we have a precious son now, Broden, who just celebrated his 1st birthday! I think it is so very important to find time to cultivate your passion(s). I think one of the most important lessons we can teach our own children is that we all have value and interests, even Mommy's! I find that when I take the time to enjoy an interest, I am a better Mom and Wife...Thanks for your entry Willa!!
    We are coming to New England this summer, sometime in July. We would love to make it up to Portland. Maybe we could get some of the old group together and have a mini-reunion? Victoria would be in heaven...

    ReplyDelete